How long has the German language been around ? 500-1250 AD
- German alphabet has 30 letters.
- These dots on the ä, ö, ü letters and ß (two ss)
- German is the most widely used mother tongue in the European Union.
- Old High German dates back to 8th Century and is similar in many respects to Anglo-Saxon.
- German is written and read from left to right.
- German words can become overwhelmingly long.
Spanish Alphabet, Language, Pronunciation and Facts
- Spanish alphabet has 27 letters. In 1994, the Royal Spanish Academy removed two letters (ch and ll) from the the alphabet, making it 27 letters instead of 29.
- Spanish first started to appear in writing in the form of notes and glosses in Latin religious texts, the Glosas Emilianenses, dating from the 11th century. During the 12th century, law codes (Fueros) were being translated into Spanish.
- The Spanish language is written using the Latin alphabet, along with a few special characters : the vowels with an acute accent (a, e, i, o, u), the vowel u with diaeresis, and n.
- Spanish is the third most spoken language in the world.