- Mount Everest is located in the Mahalangur section of the Himalayas, the mountain’s summit straddles the border separating China and Nepal.
- Its peak is 29,029 feet (8,848 meters) above sea level.
- Everest is called Chomlungma in Tibet. It means mother goddess of the universe.
- Everest is called Sagarmāthā in Nepal. It means goddess of the sky.
- Everest was formed by the movement of the Indian tectonic plate pushing up and against the Asian plate.
- In 1865. it was named Mount Everest, after Sir George Everest.