Exploring the Colosseum
- What was the original name of the Colosseum ? = Flavian Amphitheatre
- What ancient civilization built the Colosseum ? = Ancient Rome
- Who designed the Colosseum ? = Vespasian and Titus
- Where is the Colosseum located ? = Province of Rome, Italy
- Where did the Colosseum get its name ? = From the large statue of Nero that stood nearby.
- When was the Colosseum built ? = 70 AD
- Why was the Colosseum created ? = To enjoy gladiatorial combats and entertainment.
- How many people could the Colosseum hold ? = 50,000 – 90,000
- In what year did the emperor inaugurate the Colosseum ? = 80 AD
- What was the hypogeum ? = A series of passages underneath the floor of the Colosseum.