What does the Star Spangled Banner symbolize ?
- What is the Star Spangled Banner ? = It is the national anthem of the United States of America
- Who wrote the lyrics to “The Star Spangled Banner” ? = Francis Scott Key (1779-1843)
- What was the occupation of the author ? = Lawyer
- Where did Francis Scott Key wrote it, and when ? = Maryland, 1814
- What war was he in ? = War of 1812
- Why did he write it ? = He was inspired by the American victory and the sight of the large U.S. flag flying over Fort McHenry the morning, after witnessing the bombardment.
- Who made the flag that inspired “The Star Spangled Banner ” ? = Mary Pickersgill (1776-1857)
- How large was the original flag ? = 30 ft X 42 ft
- Where is the original flag now located ? = The Smithsonian Institute, Washington D.C., USA
- In what year did “The Star Spangled Banner” become the official national anthem ? = 1931
The lyrics come from “Defence of Fort McHenry “