How well do you know about Central America ?
- How many countries are there in Central America ? = 7
- Central America is famous for Great Blue Hole of Belize – Tikal of Guatemala – Mayan Ruins of Copan of Honduras – Joya de Ceren of El Salvador – Ometepe of Nicaragua – Arenal Volcano of Costa Rica – Panama Canal.
Great Blue Hole, Belize
Tikal of Guatemala
- Belize – Belmopan
- Costa Rica – San Jose
- El Salvador – San Salvador
- Guatemala – Guatemala City
- Honduras – Tegucigalpa
- Nicaragua – Managua
- Panama – Panama City
Burial Pressure – Heat – Time
- Coal is a fossil fuel formed from plants that were buried millions of years ago.
- Coal is made up of carbon, hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen and varying amounts of sulphur.
- There are 4 major types of coal : Lignite – Sub-Bituminous – Bituminous – Anthracite
What does the Star Spangled Banner symbolize ?
- What is the Star Spangled Banner ? = It is the national anthem of the United States of America
- Who wrote the lyrics to “The Star Spangled Banner” ? = Francis Scott Key (1779-1843)
- What was the occupation of the author ? = Lawyer
- Where did Francis Scott Key wrote it, and when ? = Maryland, 1814
- What war was he in ? = War of 1812
- Why did he write it ? = He was inspired by the American victory and the sight of the large U.S. flag flying over Fort McHenry the morning, after witnessing the bombardment.
- Who made the flag that inspired “The Star Spangled Banner ” ? = Mary Pickersgill (1776-1857)
- How large was the original flag ? = 30 ft X 42 ft
- Where is the original flag now located ? = The Smithsonian Institute, Washington D.C., USA
- In what year did “The Star Spangled Banner” become the official national anthem ? = 1931
The lyrics come from “Defence of Fort McHenry “
Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen
Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen (1845-1923) was a German physicist who first discovered the X-rays while experimenting with a cathode radiation on November 8, 1895. Roentgen named X-rays (X standing for “Unknown”). He took the very first picture using X-rays of his wife Anna Bertha’s hand. He was honored with the first Nobel Prize in physics in 1901 for this discovery.